How to Apply

Research Programs

Detailed information about the application process can be found on the Graduate Research School (GRS) website. Below is a quick summary of the process:

  1. Read the minimum eligibility requirements for the degree you wish to apply for (PhD, Masters by Research, MPhil).
  2. Find a supervisor. Contact potential supervisor(s) and discuss the possibility of a project. You should provide the following when approaching a potential supervisor:
    • An academic CV including:
      • a detailed summary of your undergarduate and/or postgraduate history including average grades and a copy of your academic transcripts in English
      • publication list
      • other research experience
      • any work experience in related industries
      • whether you are a Domestic student (AUS/NZ citizen or AUS permanent resident) or an International student
    • Some details about your research interests, what research area you may like to work in and your flexibility to work on other topic areas
    • Whether or not you require a scholarship from UNSW to assist in funding your studies
  3. If you have the agreement of a supervisor within the School, you can lodge an admission application with the GRS here. There will be several documents you need to provide. In particular, a research proposal which you and your proposed supervisor have agreed on. You need to communicate with your proposed supervisor to develop this.
  4. If you require scholarship support from UNSW, you must also submit a scholarship application. Details and deadlines for a given scholarship depend on each student's personal situation - find out more here. If you require information in order to apply for scholarships from your home country, please contact the postgraduate coordinator via email at

Coursework Programs

Details on the postgraduate coursework application process can be found on the University's Postgraduate Coursework website, including:

  1. Click here for instructions for how to apply including entry requirements, key dates and fees for the program. International applicants can visit UNSW International's Postgraduate Degrees section for more information.
  2. Lodging an application online by using the University's Apply Online service. You will be asked to provide documents (e.g. your academic transcript and other supporting materials) in your online application.
  3. Successful applicants should then complete the Enrolment Form (instructions can be found on the form).

If you require further information, please contact the School Office via email.