Do you want to increase your knowledge in materials science and engineering? Put your analytical skills to the test to solve some of the world's most difficult problems? If so, the postgraduate research and coursework programs offered by the School of Materials Science and Engineering at UNSW Australia are the perfect place to start. Various postgraduate degrees are offered, both in research and coursework.
Our Research Programs focus on a range of areas in materials fabrication, processing, performance, and characterisation. We offer a Master of Philosophy program, a Master of Research program and a Doctor of Philosophy program for original research projects, subject to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). More information about these programs can be found here.
The Master of Materials Technology is a 2 year full-time program. It is designed for graduates wishing to acquire expertise in the design, selection, use and performance of modern materials. It is suitable for graduates with Science, Engineering, Technology or related backgrounds. The program provides a comprehensive, yet flexible, study of the full range of materials, including ceramics, composites, metals and polymers. Students complete both a coursework component (75%) and a research component (25%).
To view the study program for the Master of Materials Technology, click here.
For more detailed information about the Master of Materials Technology degree, click here.
- particular material types, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, composities, etc.
- the functionality of a material, such as magnetism, electromechanics, electrochemistry, etc.
- materials processing, such as extraction of metals and ores, or behaviour during rolling welding or powder treatments
- the response of materials to oxidation, corrosion or other environments
- understanding the behaviour of materials through computational modelling
- the sustainability of materials through innovative recycling processes
Further information concerning admission procedures can be found on the page How to Apply. If you require any further information, please email the School's Postgraduate Coordinator at pgc.materials.unsw.edu.au.
The School has a large number of academic staff who are highly experienced in research supervision.