The end of an era - Building E8 is torn down
25 May 2016
This week marks the end of an era as the first UNSW Kensington Campus home of the School of Metallurgy (now the School of Materials Science and Engineering) is torn down to make way for a new science and engineering precinct. This building was home to the School for over 50 years.
The School of Metallurgy was founded around 1950 with Sir Rupert Myers the foundation Head of School. Sir Rupert, of course, went on to become Vice Chancellor of the University of New South Wales from 1969 to 1981.
During the 1960’s and 70’s the School was very highly regarded, particularly for its advances in physical metallurgy. However, in the 1980’s the School came close to being closed due to low enrolments and research inactivity. The 90’s saw a revival, under the guidance of Emeritus Professor David Young, as it was redefined as the School of Materials Science and Engineering. Today, David continues to be an active and valued member of the School’s academic staff.
Now, in the early part of the 21st century, the School continues to expand, driven by growing enrolments and a highly regarded research profile. That growth has been rewarded with a shiny new purpose-built building with state-of-the-art laboratory facilities for teaching and research.
In its day, Building E8 was itself state-of-the-art. And judging by the cars in the image below, it’s staff were fairly hip too!
Click on the images to take a stroll through the School's history.