Major Successes in Latest Round of ARC Linkage Projects
The School has been phenomenally successful with ARC Linkage Project grants in the latest round. School researchers were awarded over $1.8m in 6 new grants covering a wide range of the School’s research portfolio, and included a new Australia Postdoctoral Industry Award to Yansong Shen (one of only ten awarded).
Awarded grants were:
- Michael Ferry, Kevin Laws, Md Quadir, “Reducing the environmental impact of steel making through direct strip casting”, $210,000
- Mark Hoffman, Alan Crosky, “A novel solution to reducing cavitation wear in hydraulic systems”, $270,000
- Oleg Ostrovski, “The use of Australian magnetite ore in advanced ironmaking”, $220,000
- Veena Sahajwalla, “Recycling lignocellulosic agricultural waste as an iron oxide reductant in ferrous processing”, $285,000
- Paul Munroe, Stephen Joseph, “Development of the next generation of organo-mineral fertilisers utilising domestic and commercial waste products, $340,000
- Aibing Yu, Yansong Shen, “Model studies of new ironmaking processes”, $540,000
New Industry Partner organisations, which are critical to this scheme and success of the projects, included Baoshan Iron and Steel Co Ltd, Permo-Drive Technologies Ltd, POSCO, Microbiogen Pty Ltd, OneSteel Sydney Steel Mill, Renewed Carbon Pty Ltd, Baosteel Company and Rio Tinto.