- Visiting Scientist, Dechema, Frankfurt, Germany, 2009
- Visiting Professor, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, 2007
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, INPT-CIRIMAT, Toulouse, 2006
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2005
- Head of School, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW Sydney 1989-2003
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, School of Chemical Engineering & Industrial Chemistry, UNSW 1979-1988
- Visiting Professor, Istituto dei Materiali, Universita di Genova, 1986-1987
- Visiting Professor, Institute for Materials Research, Mcmaster University, 1983
- Research Officer, Central Research Laboratories, BHP Steel, 1977-1978
- Research Officer, Applied Chemistry, National Research Council of Canada, 1975-1977
- Research Fellow, Materials Science & Engineering, McMaster University, 1971-1975
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Chemistry, University of Toronto, 1969-1971
Most significant contributions are in the field of high temperature alloy-gas interactions, with an emphasis on the diffusion and phase transformation processes which support these reactions. Current work includes fundamental studies of alloy reaction with CO2, water vapour effects on oxidation and atom probe studies of oxide scale nanostructures. The work has led to two books, 6 patents and over 300 journal papers. It has been recognised by election as chair of a Gordon Research Conference, appointment to an ARC Advisory Panel, membership of editorial boards: Oxidation of Metals, J. Corrosion Science & Technology, J. Phase Equilibrium, Materials Science Forum, Corrosion Science, continuous funding from peer reviewed competitive grant schemes since 1979. A total of 56 PhD and Masters students graduated. Recent publication of a book “High temperature oxidation and corrosion” (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2016) reviews much of the recent high temperature materials research carried out in the School.
Retired from teaching. During period as Head of School, revised all undergraduate programs and established the BSc (Nanotechnology) degree.
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- 2018 Editor, Corrosion Science
- 2010 Fellow, Electrochemical Society
- 2008 U.R. Evans Award (Institute Corrosion Science & Technology, UK)
- 2008 High Temperature Materials Outstanding Achievement Award (Electrochemical Society, USA)
- 2003 Corrosion Medal (Australasian Corrosion Association)
- 1995 FRACI
- 1993 FTSE
- 1990 FIMMA, FIEAust
- J.S. Kirkaldy and D.J. Young, “Diffusion in the Condensed State”, Institute of Metals, London (1987).
- J. Ehlers, D.J. Young, E.J. Smaardyk, A.K. Tyagi, J. Penkalla, L. Singheiser and W.J. Quadakkers, "Enhanced oxidation of the 9%Cr steel P91 in water vapour containing environments", Corros. Sci., 48, 3428-54 (2006)
- D.J. Young and B.A. Pint, "Chromium Volatilisation Rates from Cr2O3 Scales into Flowing Gases Containing Water Vapour", Oxid. Met., 66, 137-153 (2006)
- D. J. Young and S. Watson, "High Temperature Corrosion in Mixed Gas Environments", Oxid. Met., 44, 239-264 (1995).
- J. Zhang, P. Munroe and D. J. Young, "Microprocesses in Nickel Accompanying Metal Dusting", Acta Mater., 56, 68-77 (2008).
- S. Hayashi, S. Ford, D. J. Young, D. J. Sordelet, M. F. Besser and B. Gleeson, "NiPt(Al) and phase equilibria of Ni-Pt-Al at 1150°C", Acta Mater., 53, 3319-28 (2005).
- D.J. Young , T.D. Nguyen , P. Felfer , J. Zhang, J.M. Cairney, "Penetration of Protective Chromia Scales by Carbon", Scripta Mater., 77 (2014) 29-32.
- D.J. Young, "High Temperature Oxidation and Corrosion of Metals", Elsevier, Amsterdam (2008, 2016).
- Y. Gong, D.J. Young, P. Kontis, Y.L. Chiu, H. Larsson, A. Shin, J.M. Pearson, M.P. Moody, R.C. Reed, "Breakaway Oxidation of Fe9Cr1Mo Steel in CO2: Characterisation and Modelling", Acta Mater., 130 (2017) 361-374.
- T.D. Nguyen, A. La Fontaine, L. Yang, J.M. Cairney, J. Zhang, D.J. Young, "Atom probe study of grain boundary segregation inside chromia scales grown in CO2 gas", Corros. Sci, 132 (2018) 125-135