Dr Damia Mawad
E10 / 246
+61 (0)2 9385 6642
+61 (0)2 9385 6565
- Marie Curie International Incoming Fellow, Department of Materials, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom (Oct 2013- July 2015)
- Research Fellow, Intelligent Polymer Research Institute, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia (June 2008- Oct 2012)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratoire d’Automatique et de Genie des Procedes, University of Lyon, Lyon, France (Jan 2007-Dec 2007)
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering (2007), Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, UNSW Australia, Sydney, Australia
- Conducting polymers applied in regenerative medicine
- Fabrication techniques to enhance the electronic stability of conducting polymers in physiological conditions
- Photo-activated functional bioadhesives for tissue engineering
- Drug delivery from polymeric scaffolds
- More information for interested Masters/PhD students: Biomaterials Research Group
Current teaching includes:
- MATS3004: Polymer Science and Engineering I
- MATS4006: Polymer Science and Engineering II
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship, FP7 People Program, European Union, 2013-2015
- M.M. Mahat, D. Mawad, G.W. Nelson, S. Fearn, R.G. Palgrave, D.J. Payne, M.M. Stevens, Elucidating the deprotonation of polyaniline films by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2015; 3: 7180-7186.
- D. Mawad, C. Warren, M. Barton, D. Mahns, J. Morley, B.T.T. Pham, N.T.H. Pham, S. Kueh, A. Lauto, Lysozyme depolymerization of photo-activated chitosan adhesive films, Carbohydrate Polymers 2015; 121: 56-63.
- L. Cronin, M. Moffitt, D. Mawad, O.C. Morton, A. Lauto, C. Stack, An in vitro study of the photodynamic effect of rose bengal on trichophyton rubrum, Journal of Biophotonics 2014; 7(6): 410-417.
- D. Mawad, P. Molino, DL. Officer, S. Ghambir, J. Locke, GG. Wallace, Electrically “induced” disassembly of layer-by-layer films of water-soluble polythiophenes, Advanced Functional Materials 2012; 22(23): 5020-5027.
- D. Mawad, E. Stewart, DL. Officer, T. Romeo, P. Wagner, K. Wagner, GG. Wallace, A single component conducting polymer hydrogel as a scaffold for tissue engineering, Advanced Functional Materials 2012; 22: 2692-2699.
- A. Lauto, M. Stoodley, M. Barton, D. Mahns, J. Morely, L. Longo, D. Mawad, Fabrication and application of rose bengal-chitosan films in laser tissue repair, Journal of Visual Experiments (JoVE) 2012; e4158, DOI: 10.3791/4158.
- D. Mawad, E.A. Boughton, P. Boughton, and A. Lauto, Advances in hydrogels applied to degenerative diseases, Current Pharmaceutical Design 2012; 18(18): 2558-2575.
- D. Mawad, K. Gilmore, P. Molino, P. Wagner, K. Wagner, DL. Officer, GG. Wallace, An erodible polythiophene-based composite for biomedical applications, Journal of Materials Chemistry 2011; 21(15): 5555-5560.
- D. Mawad, A. Lauto, A. Penciu, H. Mehier, B. Fenet, H. Fessi, and Y. Chevalier, Synthesis and characterisation of novel radiopaque polyallylamine nanoparticles, Nanotechnology 2010; 21: 335603 (8pp).
- D. Mawad, H. Mouaziz, A. Penciu, H. Mehier, B. Fenet, H. Fessi, and Y. Chevalier, Elaboration of radiopaque iodinated nanoparticles for in situ control of local drug delivery, Biomaterials 2009; 30: 5667-5674.
- D. Mawad, LA. Poole-Warren, P. Martens, LH. Koole, T.L.B. Slots and CSJ. van Hooy-Corstjens, Synthesis and characterisation of radiopaque iodine-containing degradable PVA hydrogels, Biomacromolecules 2008; 9(1): 263-8.
- D. Mawad, P. Martens, L. Ferris, R. Odell, L. Poole-Warren, The effect of redox polymerisation on degradation and cell responses to poly (vinyl alcohol) hydrogels, Biomaterials 2007; 28(6): 947-955.