Dr Nitish Kumar
E10 / 422
+61 (0)2 9385 6315
+61 (0)2 9385 6565
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Materials Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, USA, 2016
- Bachelor of Technology in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Kanpur, India, 2010
- Fatigue mechanisms in Pb-free piezoelectrics
- Defects and transport mechanisms in Bi-based perovskites
- Solid oxide fuel cells
- High temperature, high energy density relaxor dielectrics
- Perovskites for multi-ferroic applications
- Course Instructor, Introduction to Materials Science (ENGR 321), 2016)
- Teaching Assistant, Mechanical Properties of Materials (ENGR 322), 2011 – 2012
- Mentor, Summer Experience in Science and Engineering for Youth, 2014 and 2015
- Substitute Instructor, Electronic Properties of Oxides (ME 671), 2015
- Mentor to three students for their undergraduate research, 2014 – present
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant Award, College of Engineering, Oregon State University, 2016
- Oregon Lottery Graduate Scholarship Award, Oregon State University, 2015 – 2016
- Graduate Student Travel Award, Oregon State University, 2015
- First Prize at American Society for Metals Student Competition, Portland State University, 2013
- All India Rank 34 in Materials Science in GATE, for admissions to graduate programs in India, 2010
- Merit-Cum-Means Scholarship from DEAN, Students' Affairs, IIT Kanpur, India, 2006 – 2010
Selected Journal Publications
- Nitish Kumar, Eric A Patterson, Till Frömling and David P Cann, DC-bias Dependent Impedance Spectroscopy of BaTiO3–Bi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3 ceramics; Journal of Materials Chemistry C, Volume 4, Issue 9, Page 1782 (2016).
- Nitish Kumar, Eric A Patterson, Till Frömling and David P Cann, Conduction mechanisms in BaTiO3–Bi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3 ceramics; Journal of the American Ceramics Society, Volume 99, Issue 9, Page 3047 (2016).
- Nitish Kumar and David P Cann, Tailoring transport properties through nonstoichiometry in BaTiO3–BiScO3 and SrTiO3–Bi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3 for capacitor applications; Journal of Materials Science, Volume 51, Issue 20, Page 9404 (2016).
- Nitish Kumar, Aleksey Ionin, Troy Ansell, Seongtae Kwon, Wesley Hackenberger and David P Cann, Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors Based on Relaxor BaTiO3–Bi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3 for Temperature Stable and High Energy Density Capacitor Applications; Applied Physics Letters, Volume 106, Issue 25, Page 252901 (2015).
- Nitish Kumar and David P Cann, Resistivity Enhancement and Transport Mechanisms in (1 − x)BaTiO3–xBi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3 and (1 − x)SrTiO3–xBi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3; Journal of the American Ceramics Society, Volume 98, Issue 8, Page 2548 (2015).
- Nitish Kumar, Troy Y Ansell and David P Cann, Role of Point Defects in Bipolar Fatigue Behavior of Bi(Mg1/2Ti1/2)O3 Modified -(Bi1/2K1/2)TiO3– (Bi1/2Na1/2)TiO3 Relaxor Ceramics; Journal of Applied Physics, Volume 115, Issue 15, Page 154104 (2014).
Selected Conference Presentations
- Invited Presentation: Nitish Kumar and David Cann, Defect and Transport Mechanisms in Bi-based perovskites for dielectric and piezoelectric applications, Electronic Materials and Applications 2016 (EMA2016), Florida, USA, 2016.
- Contributed Presentation: Nitish Kumar, Troy Ansell and David Cann, Role of point defects in fatigue-free (Bi1/2Na1/2)TiO3-based ternary ceramics, European Materials Research Society 2014 (EMRS2014), Warsaw, Poland, 2014.