- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW, 2016-
- Senior Lecturer/Queen Elizabeth II Fellow, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW, 2011-2016
- Lee Kuan Yew Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, NUS, Singapore, 2008-2011.
- Research Fellow, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, NUS, Singapore. 2007
- Research Engineer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NUS, Singapore, 2005-2006.
- PhD: National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
- BEng: Tianjin University, P.R. China
Research contributions are mainly on the development of advanced magnetic semiconductors materials for the applications of spintronics devices. Other contributions include the development of soft and hard magnetic materials, the synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles for bio-applications, the fabrication and study of multi-functional oxide films and nanostructured materials.
The significant contributions are recognized by the publication of five book chapters and78 papers in high impact international journals with a total citation >4000 and h-index of 33.
Research interests include:
- Spintronics and oxide electronics materials
- 2D materials
- Soft and hard magnetic materials
- Magnetic materials for bioapplications
- X-ray based synchrotron techniques (XAS, XMCD, X-ray diffraction)
- Neutron scattering and polarized neutron reflectometry
- Moun spin relaxation and positron annihilation spectroscopy
- Physical Properties of Materials (MATS2001)
- Thermodynamics and Phase Equilibria (MATS6101)
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Queen Elizabeth II Fellowship, 2011-2016
- Lee Kuan Yew Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2008-2011
- Associate Editor, Frontier in Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics, 2015-
- Associate Editor, Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, 2015-
- Editorial Board Member, Advanced Materials Science and Engineering: An International Journal, 2012-
- Editorial Board Member, Advanced Energy: An International Journal, 2014-
- Editorial Board Member, Current Nanomaterials, 2016-
- Member, Australian Nanotechnology Network
- Member, Institute of Physics Society, Singapore
- Member, Materials Research Society, Singapore
- Member, Royal Society of Chemistry
X. L. Liu, C.T. Ng, P. Chandrasekharan, H. T. Yang, Y.B. Lv, W. Xiao, J.B. Yi, H. Zhang, K.H. Chuang, B.H. Bay, J. Ding and H.M. Fan, “ Fe0.6Mn0.4O Nanoflowers: A New class of Magnetic Theranostic Platform for in-vivo T1-T2 Dual-mode Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Magnetic Hyperthermia Therapy” “Advanced healthcare materials (In press).
Y.R. Wang, P. Anh, S. Li and J.B. Yi, “Electronic and Magnetic Properties of Transition-Metal Doped Monolayer Black Phosphorus by Defect Engineering” Journal of Physical Chemistry C DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b00981, 2016.
J. Piao, L.T. Tseng, K Suzuki, J.B. Yi, “Fabrication, characterization and magnetic properties of Na doped ZnO nanorods”, Functional Materials Letters, DOI: 10.1142/S1793604716500399 (in press), 2016.
Y.R. Wang, S. Li and J.B. Yi, “Electronic and magnetic properties of Co doped MoS2 monolayer’, Scientific Report, 6, 24153, 2016.
J. Piao, L-T. Tseng, J.B. Yi, “Ferromagnetism in Sm doped ZnO nanorods by a hydrothermal method”, Chemical Physics Letters, 649, 19, 2016.
L-T. Tseng, X. Luo, N. Bao, J. Ding, S. Li, J.B. Yi, "Structures and properties of transition-metal-doped TiO2 nanorods", Materials Letters, 170, 142-146, 2016.
Y. R. Wang, J.Y. Piao, G.Z. Xing, Y.H. Lu, Z.M. Ao, N. N. Bao, J. Ding, S. Li, J.B. Yi, "Zn vacancy induced ferromagnetism in K doped ZnO”, Journal of Material Chemistry C, 3, 11953-11958, 2015.
L.T. Tseng, Y.H. Luo, H.M. Fan, Y.R. Wang, X. Luo, T. Liu, P. Munroe, S. Li, and J.B. Yi, “Ferromagnetism in MnO2 doped with alkaline elements, Scientific Report 5, 9094, 2015.
Y.R. Wang, X. Luo, L.T. Tseng, T. Li, G.Z. Xing, N.N. Bao, J. Ding, S. Li, and J.B. Yi, “Room Temperature Ferromagnetism and Transport Properties in Na Doped ZnO” Chemistry of Materials, 27, 1295-1291, 2015.
G. Z. Xing, J. B. Yi, F. Yan, T. Wu and S. Li, “Positive magnetoresistance in ferromagnetic Nd-doped In2O3 thin films grown by pulse laser deposition”, Applied Physics Letters, 104, 202411 (2014).
Y.W. Ma, Y.H. Luo, J.B. Yi, Y.P. Feng, T.S. Herng, X. Liu, D.Q. Gao, D.S. Xue, J.M. Xue, J.Y. Ouyang, J. Ding, “Unexpected room temperature ferromagnetism in Teflon”, Nature Communications , 3, 727 (2012).
L. Shen, S.W. Yang, S. C. Xiang, T. Liu, B.C. Zhao, M. F. Ng, J. Göettlicher, J.B. Yi, S. Li, L. Wang, J. Ding, B.L. Chen, S. H. Wei, and Y. P. Feng, “Origin of long range ferromagnetic ordering in metal-organic frameworks with antiferromagnetic dimeric-Cu(II) building units” Journal of American Chemical Society, 134, 17286-17290 (2012).
J. B. Yi, C. C. Lim, Y. P. Feng, J. Ding, G. Z. Xing, H. M. Fan, L. H. Van, S. L. Huang, K. S. Yang, X.L. Huang,X.B. Qin, B.Y. Wang, T. Wu, L. Wang, H. T. Zhang, X. Y. Gao, T. Liu, and A. T. S. Wee, “Ferromagnetism in Diluted Magnetic Semiconductors through Defect Engineering: Li-doped ZnO” Physical Review Letters 104, 137201 (2010).
J.B. Yi, H. Pan, J.Y. Lin, J. Ding, Y.P. Feng, S. Thongmee, T. Liu, H. Gong, and L. Wang, “Ferromagnetism ZnO Nanowires Derived from Electrodeposition on AAO Template and Subsequently Oxidation” Advanced Materials 20, 1170 (2008).
H. Pan, J.B.Yi, J.Y. Lin, Y.P. Feng, J. Ding, L.H. Van, and J.H. Yin, “Room Temperature Ferromagnetism in Carbon Doped ZnO” Physical Review Letters 99, 127201 (2007)(Highlighted in Physics world).
J.B. Yi, J. Ding, Y.P. Feng, G.W. Peng, G.M. Chow, Y. Kawazoe, B.H. Liu, J.H. Yin, and S. Thongmee, “Evolution of Structural and Magnetism of NiO from Amorphous, Clusters to Nanocrystalline” Physical Review B 76, 224402 (2007).