- Associate Professor, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2015 -
- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2012-2015
- Senior Research Fellow, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2009-2011
- Research Fellow, Research Associate, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2003-2009
- Research Fellow, Max-Planck Institute for Iron Research, Germany, 2000-2003
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of Newcaste, 1996
- Associate Professor, Lecturer, Southeast University, China, 1987-1996
- PhD, UNSW 2000
- Master of Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 1987
- Bachelor of Engineering, Southeast University, China, 1984
Most significant contributions are in the field of gas-solid reactions at high temperature, including high temperature corrosion and processing metallurgy. Research emphases are on the reaction thermodynamics and kinetics, phase transformation and characterisation, reaction mechanism understanding, sustainable materials processing, and new materials development.
- Sustainable Materials Processing
- Phase Transformation
- Secondary Processing of Metals
- Process Metallurgy, Advanced
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Australian Research Fellowship (ARF) 2006 - 2010
- Max-Planck-Society Fellowship 2002
- Member of Australasian Corrosion Association, 2007 -
- Member of The Minterals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) 2013 -
- C. Yu, T.D. Nguyen, J. Zhang, D.J. Young, Corrosion of Fe–9Cr–(Mn, Si) alloys in CO2–H2O–SO2 gases, Corrosion Science, 98 (2015), 516-529.
- T.D. Nguyen, J. Zhang, D.J. Young, Water Vapour Effects on Corrosion of Fe–Cr and Fe–Cr–Ni Alloys Containing Silicon in CO2 Gas at 818oC, Oxidation of Metals, 83 (2015) 575-594.
- Y. Kapelyushin, X. Xing, J. Zhang, S. Jeong, Y. Sasaki, O. Ostrovski, Effect of Alumina on the Gaseous Reduction of Magnetite in CO/CO2 Gas Mixtures, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 46 (2015) 1175-1185.
- J. Yang, Y.R. Cui, L. Wang, Y. Sasaki, J. Zhang, O. Ostrovski, Y. Kashiwaya, Investigation of Crystallisation Behaviour of Mould Flux Using Hot Thermocouple Technique, Steel Research International, 86 (2015) 636-643.
- D.J. Young, T.D. Nguyen, P. Felfer, J. Zhang, J.M. Cairney, Penetration of chromia scales by carbon, Scripta Mater., 77 (2014) 29-32.
- J. Zhang, X. Peng, D.J. Young, F. Wang, Nano-crystalline coating to improve cyclic oxidation resistance of 304 stainless steel, Surface & Coating Technology 217 (2013) 162-171.
- T. Gheno, D. Monceau, J. Zhang, D.J. Young, Carburisation of ferritic Fe–Cr alloys by low carbon activity gases, Corrosion Science, 53 (2011) 2767–2777.
- D.J. Young, J. Zhang, C. Geers, M. Schutz, Recent advances in understanding metal dusting – a review, Materials and Corrosion, 62 (2011) 7-28.
- M.A.A. Motin, J. Zhang, D.J. Young, Simultaneous Corrosion of Fe-Si alloys by carbon and oxygen, Journal of Electrochemical Society, 157 (2010) C375-381.
- N.K. Othman, J. Zhang and D.J. Young, Temperature and water vapour effects on the cyclic oxidation behaviour of Fe-Cr alloys, Corrosion Science, 52 (2010) 2827-2836.
- J. Zhang, P. Munroe, D.J. Young, Microprocesses in nickel accompanying metal dusting, Acta Materialia, 56 (2008) 68-77.
- J. Zhang, D.J. Young, Effect of copper on metal dusting of austenitic stainless steels, Corrosion Science, 49 (2007) 1450-1467.
- J. Zhang, D. M. I. Cole, D. J. Young, Alloying with Copper to Reduce Metal Dusting of Nickel, Materials and Corrosion, 56 (2005) 756-764.
- J. Zhang, A. Schneider, G. Inden, Effect of Gas Composition on Cementite Decomposition and Coke Formation on Iron, Corrosion Science, 45 (2003) 281-299.
- J. Zhang, O. Ostrovski, Cementite Formation in CH4-H2-Ar Gas Mixture and Cementite Stability, ISIJ International, 41 (2001) 333-339.