- Visiting Fellow/Research Fellow, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW, 2008-
- Research Fellow, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering, The University of Sydney, 2003-2007
- ARC Australian Research Fellow/Australian Post-doctoral Research Fellow, School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UNSW, 1995-2003
- Visiting Researcher/Research Associate, School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UNSW 1992-1994
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Centre for Robotics and Manufacturing Systems, University of Kentucky (USA), 1991
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Mechanical Engineering, UMIST, Manchester (UK) 1990
Most significant contributions are in the field of wear of materials including human dental enamel and cutting tool materials, and mechanics of machining. Areas of research include: experimental and analytical work for the modelling of wear and machining processes; fabrication and characterization of carbon nanotube reinforced ceramics; properties of materials; process optimization and computer process monitoring. Recognition of this work includes: 3 international awards; 60+ papers in international journals and conferences; two patents and one book chapter.
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- The Best Paper Award at the 8th International Conference on Progress of Machining Technology (ICPMT), November 2006, Matsue, Japan (with Y. Chen and L. C. Zhang).
- The 1992 Joseph Whitworth Prize of the Engineering Manufacturing Industries Division of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK (with S. Hinduja and G. Barrow).
- The 1990 Donald Julius Groen Prize of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK for the outstanding paper of the year (with S. Hinduja and G. Barrow).
- Arsecularatne J. A. and Hoffman M., On the Wear Mechanism of Human Dental Enamel, Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials, 3, 2010: 347-356.
- Arsecularatne, J. A. and Zhang, L. C., Carbon nanotube reinforced ceramic composites and their performance, Recent Patents on Nanotechnology,1 (3), 2007: 176-185.
- Arsecularatne, J. A., Zhang, L. C. and Montross, C., Wear and tool life of tungsten carbide, PCBN and PCD cutting tools, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., 46 (5), 2006: 482-491.
- Arsecularatne, J. A., Prediction of tool life for restricted contact and grooved tools based on equivalent feed, Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., 44, 2004: 1271-1282.
- Arsecularatne, J. A., Mathew, P. and Oxley, P. L. B., Prediction of Chip Flow Direction and Cutting Forces in Oblique Machining with Nose Radius Tools, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Part B, 209, 1995: 305-315.