Scientia Fellow/ARC Future Fellow
E10 / 740
+61 (0)2 9385 6998
+61 (0)2 9385 6565
- ARC Future Fellow, School of Materials Science and Engineering and School of Chemistry, UNSW Sydney (September 2018 - present)
- Scientia Fellow and Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, and School of Chemistry, UNSW Sydney (December 2017 - present)
- Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, USA (March 2017 - December 2017)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, USA (August 2011 - March 2017)
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA (January 2008 - July 2011)
- Methods Developer, Rosetta Inpharmatics LLC/Merck & Co., (2000 - 2004)
- PhD in Chemistry, University of New South Wales (2007)
- MS in Chemistry, University of Washington, USA (2003)
- BS in Chemistry, University of Washington, USA (1999)
My research interests are in the area of bio-inspired materials design for biomedicine and biotechnology. Specific programs include:
- Mechanochemistry in hydrogels
- High-throughput biomaterials discovery
- Nano- and Micro-engineered materials
- Model tumor microenvironments
- Cell and tissue engineering
Current teaching includes:
- NANO1001: Nanotechnology 1
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Young Innovator of Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering Society (2017)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2015, 2016)
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (2015)
- Kavli Fellow, 19th German-American Frontiers of Science Symposium (2014)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, College of Engineering, UIUC (2013)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA), National Institutes of Health (2009)
- Australian Museum Eureka Prize Finalist (2009)
- U Committee Prize, UNSW, “Best Science PhD thesis in 2007” (2008)
- Cornforth Medal, “Best PhD thesis submitted in a branch of chemistry, chemical science or chemical technology in Australia”, The Royal Australian Chemical Institute (2008)
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Jamila Hedhli, Kathryn L. Wycislo, Iwona Dobrucka, Timothy M. Fan, Lawrence W. Dobrucki, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Melanoma topology reveals a stem-like phenotype that promotes angiogenesis, Science Advances, 2017, 3(10), e1701350
- Douglas Zhang, Junmin Lee, Michael B. Sun, Yi Pei, James Chu, Martha U. Gillette, Timothy M. Fan, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Combinatorial discovery of defined substrates that promote a stem cell state in malignant melanoma, ACS Central Science, 2017, 3 (5), 381-393
- Amr A. Abdeen, Junmin Lee, N. Ashwin Bharadwaj, Randy H. Ewoldt, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Magnetoactive hydrogels for temporal modulation of stem cell activity, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2016, 5 (19), 2536-2544
- Junmin Lee, Meredith N. Silberstein, Amr A. Abdeen, Sang Yup Kim, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Mechanochemical functionalization of disulfide linked hydrogels, Materials Horizons, 2016, 3, 447-451
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Kathryn L. Wycislo, Timothy M. Fan, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Interfacial geometry dictates cancer cell tumorigenicity, Nature Materials, 2016, 15, 856-862
- Amr A. Abdeen, Junmin Lee, Samuel H Mo, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Spatially defined stem cell-laden hydrogel islands for directing endothelial tubulogenesis, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2015, 3, 7896-7898. [Cover Article]
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Xin Tang, Taher A. Saif, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Geometric guidance of integrin mediated traction stress during stem cell differentiation, Biomaterials, 2015, 69, 174-183.
- Joshua M. Grolman, Douglas Zhang, Andrew M. Smith, Jeffrey S. Moore, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Rapid 3D extrusion of synthetic tumor microenvironments, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27 (37), 5512-5517. [Cover Article]
- Amr A. Abdeen, Jared B. Weiss, Junmin Lee, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Matrix composition and mechanics directs pro-angiogenic signaling from mesenchymal stem cells, Tissue Engineering, Part A, 2014, 20 (19-20), 2737-2745.
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Douglas Zhang, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Directing stem cell fate on hydrogel substrates by controlling cell geometry, matrix mechanics and adhesion ligand composition, Biomaterials, 2013, 34, 8140-8148.
- Kristopher A. Kilian and Milan Mrksich, Directing Stem Cell Fate by Controlling the Affinity and Density of Ligand-Receptor Interactions at the Biomaterials Interface, Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed., 2012, 51 (20), 4891-4895.
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Branimir Bugarija, Bruce T. Lahn and Milan Mrksich, Geometric cues for directing the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2010, 107 (11), 4872-4877.
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Leo M. H. Lai, Astrid Megenau, Sian Cartland, Till Böcking, Katharina Gaus, Nick Di Giorlamo, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Smart tissue culture: in situ monitoring of cellular secretion with nanostructured photonic crystals, Nano Letters, 2009, 9 (5), 2021-2025.
- Michele Cleary, Kristopher Kilian, Yanqun Wang, Jeff Bradshaw, Guy Cavet, Wei Ge, Amit Kulkarni, Patrick J. Paddison, Kenneth Chang, Nihar Sheth, Eric Leproust, Ernest M. Coffey, Julja Burchard, W. Richard McCombie, Peter Linsley and Gregory J. Hannon, Production of Complex Nucleic Acid Libraries Using Highly Parallel in situ Oligonucleotide Synthesis, Nature Methods, 2004, 1 (3), 241-248.