- Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales, 2015- Present
- Researcher, University of Okayama, Japan: 2013-2014
- Marie Curie International Fellow, School of Physics, University of Manchester, 2011-2013
- Senior Postdoctoral Fellow, College of Engineering, University of South Florida, 2007-2010
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Nano High Tech Center, Toyota Technological Institute, Nagoya, 2006-2007
- Research Associate, Electrical Engineering, University of Duisburg, Duisburg, 2004-2006
Ph D (2005) Materials Science-Indian institute of Technology Delhi, India
Dr Joshi has developed experimental methods to prepare Graphene, Carbon Nanotubes and Semiconductors for various applications. He has developed Graphene Oxide based membranes for water purification. Dr Joshi’s breakthrough work on Graphene Oxide membranes (with Dr. Rahul Nair and Sir Andre Geim) is amongst the most influential contributions to this area (R. K. Joshi et al, Science 2014).
His research interest includes: 2D Materials (Graphene & Metal Chalcogenides-MOS2); Nanomaterials; Semiconductor Thin Films; Sustainable Materials.
- “Water purification using graphene based membranes”, Rakesh Joshi, Andre Geim, Rahul R. Nair, 1320564.6
- “Osmosis effect in graphene laminates”, Rakesh Joshi, Andre Geim, Rahul R. Nair, 1320568.7
- MATS2007 Sustainable Materials Processing
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- Chartered Chemist (CChem): Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship: European Union
- Postdoctoral Fellowship :Toyota Technological Institute
- Member: Membrane Society of Australasia
- Associate Editor (2010-2013): Journal of Nanomaterials
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Nanomaterials
- R. K. Joshi, S. Alwarappan, M. Yoshimura, V. Sahajwalla, Y. Nishina “Graphene oxide: the new membrane material” Applied Materials Today, vol.1, pp.1, 2015.
- R. K. Joshi , P. Carbone, F. C. Wang, V. G. Kravets, I. V. Grigorieva, H. A. Wu, A. K. Geim, R. R. Nair “Precise and ultrafast ionic sieving through graphene oxide membranes” Science, vol. 343, pp.752, 2014.
- M. Mishra, R. K. Joshi, S. Ojha, T. Mohanty “Role of oxygen content in the work function modification on various stages of chemically synthesized graphene” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 117, pp 19746, 2013.
- R. K. Joshi, A. Kumar “Room temperature gas detection using silicon nanowires” Materials Today, vol.14, pp.52, 2011.
- R. K. Joshi, L. West, A. Kumar, N. Joshi, S. Alwarappan, A. Kumar “Production of semiconducting Au-DNA nanowires by application of DC-Bias” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, pp. 185604, 2010.
- R. K. Joshi, H. Gomez, F. Alvi, A. Kumar “Graphene films and ribbons for sensing of O2, and 100 ppm of CO and NO2 in practical conditions” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol.114, pp. 6610, 2010.
- R. K. Joshi, J. Weber, Q. Hu, B. Johnson, J. W. Zimmer, A. Kumar “Carbon Monoxide Sensing at Room Temperature via Electron Donation to Boron Doped Diamond” Sensors & Actuators B: Chem, vol.145, pp. 527, 2010.
- F. Rivera, R. K. Joshi, J. Wang, “Graphene based ultra-sensitive gas sensors” IEEE Sensor, vol.2010, pp.1534, 2010
- S. Alwarappan, R. K. Joshi, A. Kumar “Electron transfer mechanism of cytochrome c at graphene electrode” Applied Physics Letters, vol.96, pp. 263702, 2010.
- R. K. Joshi, Q. Hu, F. Alvi, N. Joshi , A. Kumar “Au decorated ZnO Nanowires for CO sensors” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, pp 16199, 2009.
- R. K. Joshi, S. Krishnan, M. Yoshimura, A. Kumar “Pd nanoparticles and thin films for hydrogen sensor” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 4, pp.1191, 2009.
- R. K. Joshi, M. Yoshimura, K. Tanaka K. Ueda, A. Kumar, N. Ramgir “Synthesis of vertically aligned Pd2Si nanowires in microwave plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition system” Journal Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, pp. 13901, 2008.
- R. K. Joshi, M. Yoshimura, C. C. Chieu, F. Tung, K. Ueda, K. Tanaka “Electrochemical growth of Pd for the synthesis of multiwall carbon nanotubes” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, pp.1857, 2008.
- R. K. Joshi, M. Yoshimura, Y. Matsuura, K. Ueda, K. Tanaka “Electrochemically grown Pd nanoparticle used for synthesis of carbon nanotubes by MPECVD” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol.7, pp. 4272, 2007.
- R. K. Joshi, F.E. Kruis, O. Dmitrieva “Gas sensing behavior of SnO1.8:Ag films composed of size-selected nanoparticles” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 8, pp. 797, 2006.
- R. K. Joshi, F. E. Kruis “Influence of Ag particle size on ethanol sensing of SnO1.8:Ag nanoparticle films: A method to develop parts per billion level gas sensors” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, pp. 153116, 2006.
- R. K. Joshi, P. Kumar, A. Kanjilal, H. K. Sehgal “Study of solution grown variable band gap Pb1-xMnxS semiconductor nanoparticle films” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol.153, pp.C707, 2006.
- R. K. Joshi “pH and temperature dependence of particle size in Pb1-xFexS nanoparticle films” Solid State Communications, vol.139, pp. 201, 2006.
- R. K. Joshi “Significance of solubility product in the solution growth of Pb1-xMxS (M = Fe, Mn, Co, and Cd) nanoparticle films” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, pp.83122, 2006.
- R. K. Joshi, H. K. Sehgal “Effect of DC - biasing of Si substrates on structure and grain size of Pb1-xFexS nanoparticle films” Nanotechnology, Vol. 15, pp. 23, 2004.
- R. K. Joshi, H. K. Sehgal, “In-situ assembled homojunctions in solution grown Pb1-xFexS nanoparticle films” Nanotechnology, Vol.15, pp. 127, 2004.
- R. K. Joshi, A. Kanjilal, H. K. Sehgal “Solution grown PbS nanoparticle films” Applied Surface Science, Vol. 221, pp.43, 2004.
- R. K. Joshi, S. Mohan, S. K. Agarwal, H. K. Sehgal “Photovoltaic effect in nanocrystalline Pb1-xFexS –single crystal Silicon heterojunctions” Thin Solid Films, Vo.447-448, pp. 80, 2004.
- R. K. Joshi, A. Kanjilal, H. K. Sehgal “Size dependence of optical properties in solution grown Pb1-xFexS nanoparticle films” Nanotechnology, Vol.14, pp. 809, 2003.
- R. K. Joshi, H. K. Sehgal “Structure, conductivity and Hall effect study of solution grown Pb1-xFexS nanoparticle films”, Nanotechnology, Vol.14, No.6, pp.592, 2003.