- Associate Professor, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2020 - current
- UNSW Scientia Fellow, 2019 - current
- ARC DECRA Fellow, 2018 - current
- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2017 - 2019
- Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2015 - 2017
- Senior Scientist and Head of the ‘High Performance Materials and Steels’ group, Department of Physical Metallurgy and Materials Testing, Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2013 - 2015
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Christian Doppler Laboratory 'Early Stages of Precipitation', Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2012 - 2013
- Graduate Certificate of University Learning and Teaching (2018), UNSW Sydney
- Ph.D. in Mining and Metallurgical Engineering (2012), Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria)
- M.Eng. in Materials Science and Engineering (2008), Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria)
My current research contributions are in processing-structure-property relationships of structural metallic materials for high performance applications, with key interests in aerospace. Currently, these materials include Ni-based superalloys, advanced steels, Ti-, and Al-alloys processed by conventional thermo-mechanical routes or 3D printing. I combine state-of-the-art experimental techniques such as electron microscopy, atom probe tomography and thermal analysis with mechanical testing and contemporary modelling approaches. My research philosophy is to achieve a balance between fundamental discovery and industrial application. I am excited about developing the next generation of structural metallic materials in collaboration with industrial partners.
Check out 'Engineering Microstructures' (group website) and '3D Additive' for more information on my research:
For prospective PhD candidates:
If you are a curious, ambitious and patient team player who is keen to pursue a physical metallurgy PhD, please do get in touch. Your convincing email should include a short statement of motivation to join my international and diverse team, your current CV, transcripts, and a copy of any publications you are proud of. Please note that you need to be competitive for UNSW scholarships. This means that you need to hold or be close to completion of a first-class Honour's or equivalent undergraduate or Master's degree in Materials Science & Engineering or related. International applicants need to be able to fulfil the UNSW English language requirements.
Projects on offer are in the areas of thermo-mechanical processing of Ni-based superalloys and metal additive manufacturing, but happy to discuss.
Currently, especially keen to consider applications by domestic (including those with extended professional experience) and/or female applicants.
- Thermo-mechanical processing
- Advanced manufacturing
- Early stages of precipitation
- Grain boundary segregation engineering
- Correlative microscopy
- Thermo-kinetic modelling
- Mechanical properties
- Reshaping the factories of the future (May 2018)
- Scalable Research: Materials Science and Engineering (Nov 2017)
- MATS3003: Engineering in Process Metallurgy (2015 - current)
- MATS1192: Design and Application of Materials in Science and Engineering (2017 - 2018)
- MATS6002: Materials Design (2015 - 2017)
- ASM Metallurgy for the Non-MetallurgistTM for Materials Australia NSW (2016 - current)
- Pre-UNSW teaching contributions at Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria, 2009 - 2015):
Lecturing and lab demonstration in Physical Metallurgy, Mechanics & Testing of Materials, Advanced Materials Characterisation, and Failure Analysis
- School Science International coordinator (2018 - current)
- School Advisory Committee member (2018 - current)
- Materials Science & Engineering HDR annual performance review panel (2016 - current)
- Postgraduate Coordinator, Admissions and Scholarships (May 2016 - Aug 2018)
- School Science Talented Students Program (TSP) coordinator (2016 - 2017)
Current and Recent Researchers:
Post Doctoral Researchers:
- Dr Felix Theska (Sep 2019 - current): Thermo-mechanical processing of Ni-based superalloys
- Dr Nima Haghdadi (Jan 2019 - current): Advanced manufacturing
- Bernd Schulz (Sep 2019 - current): Processing-structure-property relationships of forged Ni-based superalloys
- Maxwell Moyle (Aug 2019 - current): Microstructure control during advanced manufacturing
- Vitor Vieira Rielli (UNSW Scientia PhD scholar, Feb 2019 - current): Microstructural design of next generation Ni-based superalloys
- Arnab Chakraborty (Aug 2018 - current): Alloy development of modern Nb/V HSLA steels
- Richard Buerstmayr (Aug 2018 - current): Advancing the Australian specialty alloy processing capability
- Ryan Demott (Aug 2017 - current): High-resolution interface characterisation of advanced metallic materials
- Alireza Samiee (Aug 2017 - current): Engineering solid solutions of dilute Al-alloys
- Carina Ledermueller (Feb 2016 - current, submitted Sep 2019): Advanced thermo-mechanical processing of modern HSLA steels
- Wai (Wilson) Fung Tse (Feb 2020 - current): Advancing the Australian specialty alloy processing capability
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- NSW branch president of Materials Australia (2019 - current)
- Thermec Scientific and Executive Committees (2018 - current)
- TMS Phase Transformations Committee (2018 - current)
- AIST (Association for Iron & Steel Technology, 2019 - current)
- DGM (Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Materialkunde, 2018 - current)
- TMS (2017 - current)
- Australian Fracture Group (2017 - current)
- Certified Materials Professional (CMatP), Materials Australia (2016 - current)
- Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Society (2015 - current)
- NSW councillor and branch secretary of Materials Australia (2015 - 2018)
Selected recent grants:
S. Primig, S.P. Ringer, B. Oberwinkler
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP190101169)
'Structure-property relationships of next generation aero-engine materials'
S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, C. Czettl
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP190100850)
'Advanced hard metals: microstructure-property-processing relationships'
M. Ferry, S. Primig, N. Birbilis, P. Nakashima
Australian Research Council Discovery Project (DP190103592)
'Unlocking the diverse property profile of ultra-lightweight magnesium alloys'
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP180100144)
'Advancing the Australian Specialty Alloy Processing Capability'
S.P. Ringer, X. Liao, S. Primig
AUSMURI program, Department of Industry, Innovation & Science, Australia (AUSMURI000005)
'Rationalization of Liquid/Solid and Solid/Solid Interphase Instabilities During Thermal-Mechanical Transients of Metal Additive Manufacturing'
Australian Research Council DECRA Fellowship (DE180100440)
'Engineering hierarchical microstructures in high strength low alloy steels'
Industry grants with Australian and international specialty alloy manufacturers
Undergraduate scholarships/internships with Australian steel manufacturers
Consulting on a wide range of metallurgical and materials problems for Australian and international partners
Editor, Journal of Materials Science, (2018 - current)
- N. Haghdadi, E. Whitelock, B. Lim, H. Chen, X. Liao, S.S. Babu, S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, 'Multimodal γ' precipitation in Inconel-738 Ni-based superalloy during electron-beam powder bed fusion additive manufacturing', Journal of Materials Science (2020) in press.
- F. Theska, K. Nomoto, F. Godor, A. Stanojevic, B. Oberwinkler, S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, 'On the early stages of precipitation during direct ageing of Alloy 718', Acta Materialia 188 (2020) 492-503.
- C. Ledermueller, H.I. Pratiwi, R.F. Webster, M, Eizadjou, S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, 'Microalloying effects of Mo versus Cr in HSLA steels with ultrafine-grained microstructures', Materials & Design 185 (2020) 108278.
- F. Theska, A. Stanojevic, B. Oberwinkler, S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, 'On Conventional versus Direct Ageing of Alloy 718', Acta Materialia 156 (2018) 116-124.
- A. Drexler, B. Oberwinkler, S. Primig, Ch. Turk, E. Povoden-Karadeniz, A. Heinemann, W. Ecker, M. Stockinger , 'Experimental and numerical investigations of the γ'' and γ' precipitation kinetics in alloy 718 ', Materials Science & Engineering A 723 (2018) 314-323.
- K. Leitner (née Babinsky), P.J. Felfer, D. Holec, J.M. Cairney, W. Knabl, A. Lorich, H. Clemens, S. Primig , 'On grain boundary segregation in molybdenum materials', Materials & Design 135 (2017) 204-212.
- A.J. Breen, K. Babinsky, A.C. Day, K. Eder, C.J. Oakman, P.W. Trimby, S. Primig, J.M. Cairney, S.P. Ringer, 'Correlating Atom Probe Crystallography Measurements with Transmission Kikuchi Diffraction data', Miscroscopy & Microanalysis 23 (2017) 279-290.
- D. Lang, E. Povoden-Karadeniz, J. Schatte, W. Knabl, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Thermodynamic evaluation of the Mo-rich corner of the Mo-Hf-C system including O impurities', Journal of Alloys and Commpounds 695 (2017) 372-381.
- Ch. Hofer, F. Winkelhofer, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Morphology change of retained austenite during austempering of carbide-free bainitic steel', Materials Science & Engineering A 664 (2016) 236-246.
- Ch. Turk, H. Leitner, G. Kellezi, H. Clemens, W. Gan, P. Staron, S. Primig, 'Impact of the B2 ordering behavior on the mechanical properties of a FeCoMo alloy', Materials Science & Engineering A 662 (2016) 511-518.
- S. Sackl, H. Leitner, M. Zuber, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Induction hardening versus conventional hardening of a heat treatable steel', Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 45 (2014) 5657-5666.
- K. Babinsky, R. De Kloe, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'A novel approach for site-specific atom probe specimen preparation by focused ion beam and transmission electron backscatter diffraction', Ultramicroscopy 144 (2014) 9-18.
- M. Nöhrer, S. Zamberger, S. Primig, H. Leitner, 'Atom probe study of Vanadium interphase precipitates and randomly distributed Vanadium precipitates in ferrite', Micron 54 (2013) 57-64.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, W. Knabl, A. Lorich, H. Clemens, R. Stickler, 'Textural evolution during dynamic recovery and static recrystallization of molybdenum', Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 43 (2012) 4794-4805.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, 'Separation of overlapping retained austenite decomposition and cementite precipitation reactions during tempering of martensitic steel by means of thermal analysis', Thermochimica Acta 526 (2011) 111-117.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, H. Clemens, A. Lorich, W. Knabl, R. Stickler, 'On the recrystallization behavior of technically pure molybdenum', International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 28 (2010) 703-708.