- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2017-current
- Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2015-2017
- Senior Scientist and Head of the ‘High Performance Materials and Steels’ group, Department of Physical Metallurgy and Materials Testing, Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2013-2015
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Christian Doppler Laboratory 'Early Stages of Precipitation', Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2012-2013
- Ph.D. in Mining and Metallurgical Engineering (2012), Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria)
- M.Eng. in Materials Science and Engineering (2008), Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria)
My current research contributions are in processing-structure-property relationships of structural metallic materials such as advanced steels, nickel-based alloys, refractory metals and aluminium alloys. I combine state-of-the-art experimental techniques such as electron microscopy, atom probe tomography and thermal analysis with mechanical testing and contemporary modeling approaches. My research philosophy is to achieve a balance between fundamental discovery and industrial application. I am excited about developing the next generation of structural metallic materials in collaboration with industrial partners.
- Thermo-mechanical processing
- Early stages of precipitation
- Grain boundary segregation engineering
- Correlative microscopy
- Mechanical properties
- TMS (2017-current)
- Australian Standards Committee MT-014 Corrosion of Metals (2017-current)
- Australian Fracture Group (2017-current)
- Certified Materials Professional (CMatP), Materials Australia (2016-current)
- NSW councillor of Materials Australia (2015-current)
- Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Society (2015-current)
- MATS1192: Design and Application of Materials in Science and Engineering
- MATS3003: Engineering in Process Metallurgy
- MATS6002: Materials Design
- Ryan Demott (Aug 2017-ongoing): Grain boundary engineering of ODS alloys for nuclear applications
- Alireza Samiee (Aug 2017-ongoing): Engineering of solid solutions
- Christian Legerer (Feb 2017-ongoing): Ionic liquids as new heat treatment medium
- Carina Ledermueller (Feb 2016-ongoing): Advanced thermo-mechanical processing of modern HSLA steels
- Felix Theska (Feb 2016 - ongoing): High-resolution characterisation of Ni-based alloys
- Postgraduate coordinator (admissions and scholarships)
- School coordinator for Faculty of Science Talented Students Program
- A.J. Breen, K. Babinsky, A.C. Day, K. Eder, C.J. Oakman, P.W. Trimby, S. Primig, J.M. Cairney, S.P. Ringer, 'Correlating Atom Probe Crystallography Measurements with Transmission Kikuchi Diffraction data', Miscroscopy & Microanalysis 23 (2017) 279-290.
- S. Primig, G. Stechauner, E. Kozeschnik, 'Early stages of Cu precipitation in 15-5 PH maraging steel revisited - Part I: Experimental analysis', Steel Research International 88 (2017) 1600084 1-10
- D. Lang, E. Povoden-Karadeniz, J. Schatte, W. Knabl, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Thermodynamic evaluation of the Mo-rich corner of the Mo-Hf-C system including O impurities', Journal of Alloys and Commpounds 695 (2017) 372-381
- Ch. Hofer, F. Winkelhofer, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Morphology change of retained austenite during austempering of carbide-free bainitic steel', Materials Science & Engineering A 664 (2016) 236-246
- Ch. Turk, H. Leitner, G. Kellezi, H. Clemens, W. Gan, P. Staron, S. Primig, 'Impact of the B2 ordering behavior on the mechanical properties of a FeCoMo alloy', Materials Science & Engineering A 662 (2016) 511-518
- S. Sackl, H. Leitner, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'On the evolution of secondary hardening carbides during continuous versus isothermal heat treatment of high speed steel Hs 6-5-2', Materials Characterisation 120 (2016) 232-330
- Ch. Hofer, H. Leitner, F. Winkelhofer, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Structural characterization of “carbide-free” bainite in a Fe-0.2C-1.5Si-2.5Mn steel', Materials Characterization 102 (2015) 85-91.
- S. Sackl, H. Leitner, M. Zuber, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'Induction hardening versus conventional hardening of a heat treatable steel', Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 45 (2014) 5657-5666.
- K. Babinsky, R. De Kloe, H. Clemens, S. Primig, 'A novel approach for site-specific atom probe specimen preparation by focused ion beam and transmission electron backscatter diffraction', Ultramicroscopy 144 (2014) 9-18.
- G. Ressel, P. Parz, S. Primig, H. Leitner, H. Clemens, W. Puff, 'New findings on the atomistic mechanisms active during mechanical milling of a Fe-Y2O3 model alloy', Journal of Applied Physics 115, 124313 (2014).
- K. Babinsky, J. Weidow, W. Knabl, A. Lorich, H. Leitner, S. Primig, 'Atom probe study of grain boundary segregation in technically pure molybdenum', Materials Characterization 87 (2014) 95-103.
- M. Nöhrer, S. Zamberger, S. Primig, H. Leitner, 'Atom probe study of Vanadium interphase precipitates and randomly distributed Vanadium precipitates in ferrite', Micron 54 (2013) 57-64.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, W. Knabl, A. Lorich, H. Clemens, R. Stickler, 'Textural evolution during dynamic recovery and static recrystallization of molybdenum', Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 43 (2012) 4794-4805.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, 'Separation of overlapping retained austenite decomposition and cementite precipitation reactions during tempering of martensitic steel by means of thermal analysis', Thermochimica Acta 526 (2011) 111-117.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, H. Clemens, A. Lorich, W. Knabl, R. Stickler, 'On the recrystallization behavior of technically pure molybdenum', International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 28 (2010) 703-708.
- S. Primig, H. Leitner, 'Transformation from continuous-to-isothermal aging applied on a maraging steel', Materials Science and Engineering A 527 (2010) 4399-4405.