- Visiting professor, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW Australia, 2013 –
- Director and Professor, GIFT, POSTECH, South Korea, 2007- 2013
- Associate Professor, MSE, Tohoku university, Japan 2004-2007
- Assistant professor, MSE, Hokkaido University, Japan, 1996-2004
- B. Eng. Metallurgical Engineering, Yokohama National University, Japan
- MASc, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan
Major contributions are in the field of “Environmental Metallurgy” to meet the demand of environmental issues (CO2 issues, energy issues and resource issues) in metallurgical processes, especially, iron and steelmaking processes. Areas of research include (1) Green processing of metallurgical processes (minimization of energy and CO2 emission), (2) physical chemistry and quantum chemical approaches to the properties of minerals, (3) Waste treatment and clean technology, (4) Applications of particle dynamics (DEM) and aerodynamics (CFD) for metallurgical process, especially in BF processes (5) Molecular dynamic (MD) simulation of molten flux and slag structure and their properties and (6) Fracture mechanics of coke breakage.
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
- 1999 – Nishiyama Award of ISIJ.
- 2006 – The best Technology award of Japanese society of multi-phase flow.
- 2007 – Sawamura Award ( Best paper in ISIJ Int., 2010)
- 2012 – Sawamura Award ( Best paper in ISIJ Int., 2012)
- Advisory board member of ISIJ Int., 2014 -
Over 150 refereed journal papers.
Some Representative Publications:
- Y. Sasaki, S. Hara, D. R. Gaskell and G. R. Belton: Isotope Exchange Studies of the Rate of Dissociation of CO2 on Liquid Iron Oxides and CaO-Saturated Calcium Ferrites：Metallurgical Transactions B, vol.15B, (1984), pp.563-571.
- Satoshi Suzuki, Susumu Kitagawa, Hiroshi Iwata and Yasushi Sasaki: Structure and Resistivity of Heat-Treated polycrystalline Zinc Sulphide Prepared by Chemical Vapor Deposition: Journal of Crystal Growth, vol.134, (1993), pp.67-74.
- Y. Sasaki and G. R. Belton: Steady-state studies of the reactions of H2O-CO and CO2-H2 mixtures with liquid iron: Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, (1998), pp.829-835.
- Woo-Yeol Cha, Takahiro Miki, Yasushi Sasaki and Mitsutaka Hino：Identification of titanium oxide phases equilibrated with liquid Fe-Ti alloy based on EBSD analysis, ISIJ International, vol.46 (2006),No.7, 987-995.
- Yasushi Sasaki, Yoshihiko Hirano, Manabu Iguchi and Kuniyoshi Ishii: Liquid-state semiconductor p-n junction at 903K, Appl. Phys. Letters, vol. 89 (2006), 232108.
- Hyun-Soo Kim, Jang-Gyu Kim and Yasushi Sasaki: The role of molten slag in iron melting process for the direct contact carburization: wetting and separation, ISIJ Int., vol.50 (2010),1099-1106.
- Ji-Ook Park, Tran Van Long and Yasushi Sasaki: Feasibility of solid state steelmaking from cast iron, ISIJ Int., vol. 52 (2012), 26-34.
- Sun-Young Kim and Yasushi SASAKI: The crack formation and its degradation simulation in the anisotropic coke particle using DEM, Fuel, (2013), Vol. 106, pp 357-364.
- Dong-Yuk Kim, Yoon-Uk Heo, and Yasushi Sasaki: Cementite formation from Magnetite under high pressure conditions, ISIJ Int. vol.53 (2013), 950.
- In-Hyoen Jeong, Hyun-Soo Kim and Yasushi Sasaki: Trickle flow behaviors of liquid iron and molten slag in the lower part of blast furnace, ISIJ Int. vol. 53 (2013), 2090-2098.