- Professor, Assoc. Professor, Senior Lecturer/Lecturer, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW 2005-current
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow, Forschungszentrum Juelich Germany, 2003-2004
- Visiting Researcher, National University Singapore 2006
- Visiting Researcher, University of Maryland (USA) 2005
Most significant contributions are in the field of thin film epitaxy- functional property relationships for ferroelectrics, dielectrics and multiferroic nanomaterials. Areas of research include thin-film oxide epitaxy, scanned probe microscopy of functional materials and Landau- Ginzburg modelling of phase-transitions. Recognition of this includes: 90+ papers in international journals; $6m research funding since 2005. Currently supervising 7 PhD; successfully supervised 6 PhD completions and 1 MSc since starting at UNSW.
Courses taught are in the areas of Diffusion and Kinetics, Advanced Nanomaterials, Introduction to Materials Design and Nanotechnology, Solid State Chemistry and Nanofabrication.
Awards & Memberships
- Edgeworth David Medal 2010
- International Symposium for Integrated Functionalities Young Investigator Award 2010
- Australian Research Fellowship (twice-2006-2010 and 2010-present)
- Australian Research Council Fellow, 2006 – present
- Member of Materials Research Society, 1999 – present
Click here for all publications.
1. “Exploring Topological Defects in Epitaxial BiFeO3 Thin Films”, R.K. Vasudevan, Y.-C. Chen, H.-H. Tai, N. Balke, P. P Wu, S. Bhattacharya, L.Q. Chen, Y. H. Chu, I. N. Lin, S.V. Kalinin and V. Nagarajan, ACS Nano, in press 2011
2. “Theory of Giant Electromechanical Response from Ferroelectric Bilayers with Polydomain Structures due to Interlayer and Interdomain Coupling” R. Mahjoub, S. P. Alpay and V. Nagarajan, Physical Review Letters 105, 197601 (2010)
3. “Labile ferroelastic nanodomains in bilayered ferroelectric thin films.” , V. Anbusathaiah, D. Kan, F. C. Kartawidjaja, R. Mahjoub, M. A. Arredondo, S. Wicks, I. Takeuchi, J. Wang, and V. Nagarajan, Advanced Materials 21, 3497, (2009)
4. “Direct evidence for cation non-stoichiometry and Cottrell atmospheres around dislocation cores in functional oxide interfaces.” M. Arredondo, Q. M. Ramasse, M. Weyland, R. Mahjoub, I. Vrejoiu, D. Hesse, N. D. Browning, M. Alexe, P. Munroe, and V. Nagarajan, Advanced Materials 22, 2430 (2010)
5. “Universal behavior and electric field-induced structural transition in rare-earth substituted BiFeO3″ , D. Kan, L. Pálová, V. Anbusathaiah, C. J. Cheng, S. Fujino, V. Nagarajan, K. M. Rabe, and I. Takeuchi, Advanced Functional Materials 20,1108 (2010)
6. “Unit-cell scale mapping of ferroelectricity and tetragonality in epitaxial ultrathin ferroelectric films” C. L. Jia, V. Nagarajan, J. Q. He, L. Houben, T. Zhao,R. Ramesh, K.Urban and R.Waser, Nature Materials 6, 64-69, (2007)