- Associate Professor, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2020 - current
- UNSW Scientia Fellow, 2019 - current
- ARC DECRA Fellow, 2018 - 2020
- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2017 - 2019
- Lecturer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia, 2015 - 2017
- Senior Scientist and Head of the ‘High Performance Materials and Steels’ group, Department of Physical Metallurgy and Materials Testing, Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2013 - 2015
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Christian Doppler Laboratory 'Early Stages of Precipitation', Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria), 2012 - 2013
- Dean of Science Collaboration & Partnership Award (2020)
- Future Women Leaders Conference Award, Monash University (2019)
- UNSW Scientia Fellowship (2019)
- Postgraduate Research Supervisor Award (2018)
- ARC DECRA Fellowship (2018)
Selected recent grants:
S. Primig, S.P. Ringer, B. Oberwinkler
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP190101169)
'Structure-property relationships of next generation aero-engine materials'
S.P. Ringer, S. Primig, C. Czettl
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP190100850)
'Advanced hard metals: microstructure-property-processing relationships'
M. Ferry, S. Primig, N. Birbilis, P. Nakashima
Australian Research Council Discovery Project (DP190103592)
'Unlocking the diverse property profile of ultra-lightweight magnesium alloys'
Australian Research Council Linkage Project (LP180100144)
'Advancing the Australian Specialty Alloy Processing Capability'
S.P. Ringer, X. Liao, S. Primig
AUSMURI program, Department of Industry, Innovation & Science, Australia (AUSMURI000005)
'Rationalization of Liquid/Solid and Solid/Solid Interphase Instabilities During Thermal-Mechanical Transients of Metal Additive Manufacturing'
Australian Research Council DECRA Fellowship (DE180100440)
'Engineering hierarchical microstructures in high strength low alloy steels'
Industry grants with Australian and international specialty alloy manufacturers
Undergraduate scholarships/internships with Australian steel manufacturers
Consulting on a wide range of metallurgical and materials problems for Australian and international partners
My research contributions are in processing-structure-property relationships of structural metallic materials for high performance applications, with key interests in aerospace. Currently, these materials include Ni-based superalloys, advanced steels, Ti-alloys, and refractory metals processed by conventional thermo-mechanical routes or 3D printing. I combine state-of-the-art experimental techniques such as electron microscopy, atom probe tomography and thermal analysis with mechanical testing and contemporary modelling approaches. My research philosophy is to achieve a balance between fundamental discovery and industrial application. I am excited about developing the next generation of structural metallic materials in collaboration with industrial partners.
I am an editor of Journal of Materials Science and the NSW President of Materials Australia.
Check out 'Engineering Microstructures' (group website) and '3D Additive' for more information on my research:
- MATS2004: Mechanical Behaviour of Materials (2021 - current)
- MATS3003: Engineering in Process Metallurgy (2015 - current)
- MATS1192: Design and Application of Materials in Science and Engineering (2017 - 2018)
- MATS6002: Materials Design (2015 - 2017)
- Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist for Materials Australia NSW (2016 - current)
- Pre-UNSW teaching contributions at Montanuniversitaet Leoben (Austria, 2009 - 2015):
Lecturing and lab demonstration in Physical Metallurgy, Mechanics & Testing of Materials, Advanced Materials Characterisation, and Failure Analysis